Anatomically, the pineal gland is a pea-sized endocrine gland which is located in the epithalamus, near the centre of the brain. Functionally, it is a part of the endocrine gland as it secretes the hormone melatonin, which is synthesized from serotonin, which maintains our day-night cycle, circadian rhythm, our natural biological clock.
Some mains functions of the pineal gland are :
Sleep cycle (circadian rhythm)
Reproductive functions and fertility
Longevity and anti-ageing.
Scientific researches have proved that, besides maintaining the sleep cycle, the pineal gland has many important roles to play, hence it is quite a crucial organ.
Some 6 wonderful facts about this tiny gland;
1.Master Gland : Considered as a master regulator with the hypothalamus of the endocrine system, it controls hormone signals to all organs of the body. It has a dual neuroendocrine role, much bigger role than only maintaining the melatonin, sleep cycle. Besides, melatonin, serotonin, it also secretes biogenic amines like Catecholamines (Noradrenaline). Now, researches show that pineal gland is responsible for the release of pituitary hormones and so it is the master conductor of the endocrine system. Therefore, all the body’s vital functions are controlled by this organ.
2. Sixth sense :Since it has a rich adrenergic nerve supply, it is found to be very sensitive to our energy field, both magnetic and electric fields (vibrations) which we are normally not aware. Normally, we are aware of what our five senses feel. So, this gland is responsible for the “sixth sense.”, the bioelectromagnetic field (vibrations). This is what is called an Expanded consciousness. Animals have normally a bigger pineal gland so have a larger bioelectric field. They respond to vibrations while communicating which humans don’t use as we, humans have languages.
3. Third eye: Since the ancient time, it is regarded as the “third eye” (in many ancient mythologies like Egypt, Greek, Chinese and Hindu). Now science-based studies proved that it indeed contains rod-like cells (pinealocytes) that are similar to those of eye. There are both dark and light pinealocytes. The gland is connected to the eyes to detect light and dark stimuli and stimulate the release of melatonin.
4. Anti ageing :Melatonin which is released by the pineal gland is found to be a powerful anti-oxidant. It has about 200% more oxidative power than vitamin E and also vitamin C. Therefore, it is a strong hormone against oxidative stress, so very important in anti-ageing.
5. DMT :Pineal gland mediates the release of serotonin and dopamine. Both are considered as happy hormones. Therefore disruption in circadian rhythm can affect the release of melatonin which is synthesized from serotonin in Pineal gland. Another mystery fact is increased scientific evidence have shown pinoline and DMT( dimethyltryptamine) have been naturally producing in the pineal gland, help in mood, perception, consciousness, dream state and cognition. DMT is produced naturally during deep sleep in the unconscious state. It can be produced in deep meditation at a conscious level by experienced meditators like monks and yogis. DMT has a psychedelic effect, an elevated state because it gives the visionary experience, a state of transcendence, body and spirit connection.
6. Awakening : Since it is the most powerful organ, pineal gland activation can help you give more clarity about the world, and perform at your most optimal potential. It can help you perform brilliantly in any task.
Many practices like deep meditation, Kundalini yoga, Chi Kung (Chinese) like deep breathing, tapping, focussing (at the centre of forehead), laughing (being happy), light music and being in darkness can awaken the pineal gland. Pineal gland activation also helps to balance the body’s 7 chakras or 7 healing energy sources. Neuroscience has proved that activation of this gland can give profound spiritual experiences, out of the body experiences. Practising deep meditation and concentration daily can slowly help to activate the pineal gland.
11 thoughts on “Post: Why is the pineal gland (the third eye) considered so powerful ? 6 wonderful scientific facts.”
Good writing about pineal body and its functions!
Thanks for reading 🙏
Wow, great information in depth on the pineal gland Juri and it’s functions, love it. I’m going to save it 👌😊
Thanks Prashanti 😊 Always appreciate your kind words 🙏🤗
My pleasure dear, you write on great topics, they are very helpful too 🙏💕
Thanks for reading🙏😊
Thanks for reading 😊