Hello every one ! Have a wonderful and safe day 🙋🏻
Seasonal allergies, cold weather, pet allergies, environmental pollutants, dust, irritants and many more are the common reasons that cause the sinuses to be inflamed. Sinuses are hollow areas in the skull which have a sensitive and a protective mucosal lining.
Typically, these spaces are filled with air. When a person is exposed to some external irritants or cold, windy weather, he or she suffers from a common cold. In that case, the nose and sinuses get blocked or filled with fluid. Germs start growing, which are mainly viruses or bacteria and subsequently, the mucosal lining gets inflamed due to the infection. Usually, 95 % of the disease is the viral origin, and others can be bacterial, fungal or any allergies.
Therefore, a sinus cycle sets in:
Swelling and inflammation of mucosa of the sinuses — stagnation and infection inside the sinuses —— blocked drainage causing pain and stuffiness.
The onset can be broadly acute or chronic, depending on the extent of duration. Usually, it clears up within 2-3 weeks but sometime, it may continue for months.
The symptoms are mainly :
1.Pain or tenderness in the regions of the sinuses.
2. Inflammation of the mucosa may result in fever and discharge from the sinuses.
3.Blocked, stuffy nose.
5. Sense of smell and taste are reduced.
6. Toothache, bad breath.
Based on physical examination and symptoms, the diagnosis can be easy. But, sometimes, Rhinoscopy or CT scan is done to confirm the diagnosis.
Clinically, the treatment mainly depends on the symptoms and their severity and also the source of infection. Commonly treatments like nasal decongestants, mucolytic medication, pain killers, antibiotics, and regular hydration are recommended. Surgery is required only in some selected cases.
Since it is so common, it is wise to know some common remedies.
1. Applying light pressure and a message over the vomer bone that is the root of your nose can cause the sinuses to drain and reduce the tension. It can help to get instant relief.
2. A drink made of organic apple cider vinegar (1-2 tsp) and warm water, lemon drops and honey.
3. Ginger tea 2-3 times a day can be beneficial.
4. Consuming 1-2 cloves of raw garlic can reduce the infection significantly.
5. Steam inhalation with few drops of oregano or eucalyptus oil or apple cider vinegar can be helpful to clear the blockage.
6. Warm water saline mixed with unionized salt can be used with the help of a Neti Pot to drain the sinuses. It should be preferred under the guidance of a physician or a health coach.
7. Lastly, boosting the immunity by regular hydration, eating healthy, reducing intake of sugar and processed food.
Thanks for reading.
Blessings and much love to all 💐