Hello everyone ! Have a wonderful and safe day 🙋🏻
Reflux is the upward movement of the material from the stomach to the oesophagus through the lower oesophageal sphincter. The content of the material can be acid, food or air now and then. Usually, the sphincter remains tight, but when it becomes loose, stomach content migrates to the oesophagus.
Common causes of Acid reflux can be:
1.Overweight or obese.
3.Hiatus Hernia (when part of the stomach bulges out into the chest through the diaphragm)
4.Eating a heavy meal and lying down on the right side or bending forward.
5.Drinking fizzy, carbonated drinks or alcohol.
7.Having too many beverages, like tea and coffee.
8.Intake of blood pressure medication or pain killers.
Commonly occurring symptoms are :
Burning sensation behind the sternum/breast bone. Also known as heartburn.
Belching/ Regurgitation of food.
Acidic taste in the mouth.
Atypical symptoms like coughing at night.
Acid reflux pain or heartburn can be very annoying and uncomfortable. If the episodes become frequent, the diagnosis is called gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). The condition is diagnosed based on physical symptoms. But in prolonged cases, or frequent episodes, or in case of hiatus hernia, oesophageal stricture, diagnosis is done by ultrasound and CT scan. The treatment recommended with medication proton pump inhibitors, Omeprazole. In severe cases, some may require surgery.
But, there are several Lifestyle measures which we can adapt to reduce Acid reflux:
1. Changing the eating pattern by avoiding eating late at night. Avoiding large, heavy meal.
2. Getting rid of trigger foods like spicy, fried, citrous or even tomato-based food items.
3. Eating small meals at regular intervals and eating slowly by chewing properly.
4. Avoiding carbonated and fizzy drinks, avoiding alcohol, too much tea and coffee.
5. Quitting Smoking.
6. Destressing yourself before meals like by taking 5-6 deep breaths before each meal.
7. Don’t eat 2-3 hours before going to bed.
8. Sleeping on the left side so that it decreases the pressure on the lower oesophageal sphincter and reduces gastric stress.
9. Using a pillow of sufficient height to support the head so that the abdomen and oesophagus are all in alignment.
10. Avoid tight clothing which may again cause gastric pressure and on the oesophageal sphincter.
11. Food preferred are
Green leafy vegetables
Lean meat and fish
Probiotics like yoghurt, buttermilk
Winter melon/Ash gourd
Healthy fats like avocado, walnut.
Thanks for reading.
Blessings and much love to all 💐