Hello everyone ! Have a wonderful and safe day 🙋🏻
Most of us have a sweet tooth. But its the potential danger of adding some extra calories and the spiking glucose and insulin level that scares us the most. Yes, we can reduce or eliminate the intake of sugar from our diet for health sake. Perhaps, this is the best option. Or, we can choose some healthier options instead. Not going for artificial, industrially processed sugar and products, we can very well opt for natural alternatives which will not only satisfy our sweet tooth but also give some added health benefits.
Six healthy alternatives:
1.Stevia: is a natural sweetener derived from the leaves of a bush known as Stevia Rebaudiana. The leaves are packed with nutrients and phytochemicals. It has no calorie, 100%natural and no adverse effects on health. Instead found to lower blood pressure and insulin levels. Though different brands are available in the supermarket, the best option is those who are least processed ,non GMO (genetically modified organism) and have no added sugar like dextrose or multidextrin and so on.
2. Monk fruit sweetener: This is a healthier option as it has zero calories too. It is derived from a small green fruit called monk fruit found in South Asia. Studies have shown that this fruit extract has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anti-cancer properties. But, more research is required though. This kind of sweetener is quite expensive and is available in the supermarket. We need to be careful of any artificial sugar additives.
3. Pure raw honey: Pure organic honey, is not just sugar but a complete food. However, it has calories but has immense health benefits. It contains antioxidants, antimicrobial, and is used as a natural medicine for cough relief and in wounds and cuts. Since it includes pure bee pollen, it can also benefit from reducing allergy symptoms. Not all honey brands found in the aisle of the supermarket are healthy.Pure, organic raw honey has the maximum health benefits. Since it has calories, it has to be used sparingly.
3. Dates: Dates can be used along with raisins, apricot, pineapple juice as sugar alternatives. Dates as such are rich in fibres and have the highest nutritional value along with vitamins and minerals. They are also rich in antioxidants.
4. Coconut Sugar: Coconut sugar is good as it is extracted from coconut juice which is full of potassium, rich in nutrients and electrolyte. It has a low glycemic index.
5. Maple syrup: Pure maple syrup is derived from maple tree sap that has been reduced by boiling. The maple tree is a native of North America. Maple syrup has immense health benefits too. It is rich in antioxidants, zinc and other minerals and is suitable for heart health, immune booster and hormonal balance.
6. Jaggery: It’s a sugarcane syrup that is golden to dark brown, which is unrefined and unprocessed. It has high nutritional value and is rich in minerals and phytochemicals. It improves digestion, immune booster and helps in joint pain. Since it has calories, it is not ideal for people with diabetes.
Thanks for reading.
Blessings and much love to all 💐
Pic: courtesy Pineterest.