Hello everyone ! Have a wonderful weekend🙋🏻
Neuroplasticity and Neurogenesis, two terms commonly used when it comes to brain health. We, just don’t need to dive so much into Neuroscience to learn what they mean and how we can help ourselves to keep our brain healthy. Brain health is important because as long as our brain is healthy, we keep learning new things and our memory is intact. As ageing progresses, we can prevent ourselves from certain chronic conditions like dementia, Alzheimers and Parkinson’s disease by maintaining good brain health.
Neuroplasticity, meaning that our brain is continuously changing through our entire lifetime depending upon our experiences, the environment, habits, behaviour. Neural pathways keep rewiring and dewiring depending upon what is necessary and what is no longer useful. Therefore, being in a positive environment, thinking and feeling positive is all very important.
Neurogenesis meaning formation of new neurons, that is our ability to learn new things and retain in our memory. Previously, it was believed that neurogenesis stopped once we reach our adulthood, that is around the age of 20. Now, researches have shown, that neurogenesis occurs throughout our lifetime. So, we can learn until the day we die. In our brain, the neurons are formed from the neural stem cells and progenitor cells which are in the Hippocampus mainly and also in other regions of the brain. Though every day, new neurons are formed, before, they could get matured, many of them get pruned. A special protein BDNF (brain-derived neurotrophic factor) has been identified which is responsible for promoting the maturation, survival and maintenance of the neurons.
So, how do we facilitate this process of neurogenesis and maintain the level of BDNF? 5 simple ways
1. Exercise: Any exercise which can increase the heart rate mainly aerobic exercise, running, brisk walking.
2.Food: Rich in omega 3 fatty acids like fishes (salmon, tuna, sardines), avocados, chia, hemp seeds and nuts. Other sources which help are turmeric, blueberries, goji berries, lotus roots, algae, green tea, coffee. However, too much caffeine is detrimental to neurogenesis.
3.Emotions: Experiencing positive emotions like joy, excitement, love and feeling good, stimulate Neurogenesis. Such emotional experience can appear by being creative, learning a new skill, going out in Nature, proper sleep, listening to Nature sounds, good music and sex. A positive relationship with partners, peers, relatives is helpful. Being in chronic stress, anger, anxiety are detrimental to neurogenesis.
4.Mind stimulation: Cognitive abilities like reading, learning, memorizing, discussing new ideas, taking up music lessons, problem-solving, all stimulate neurogenesis. Cognitive reserve (resilience against brain damage) can be built up by engaging mind stimulating activities or intellectual work.
5.Meditation: Prayers and meditation can stimulate neurogenesis. Practising mindfulness, compassion, being in silence, stillness all facilitate neurogenesis.
Some lifestyle factors which can decrease neurogenesis are a high intake of carbohydrate, sugar, fried foods, inflammatory foods, chronic caffeine intake, smoking, alcohol, obesity, chronic stress, lack of sleep, negative emotions like sadness, depression, lack of engagement, boring life. Direct trauma to the head can be very detrimental to neurogenesis. Nowadays, even environmental pollution is quite hazardous to brain health.
If you are intending to learn more about lifestyle changes that you can do to improve your brain health, I recommend the book: Neurogenesis diet and lifestyle by Dr Brant Cortright
Thanks for reading. Take care.
Blessings and Much love to all 💐
Hello everyone ! Have a great Friday and weekend too 🙋🏻
Individually, our body is not a single life form. It is a community of 50 -75 trillion cells depending on body size. Each of the cells collectively forms individual tissue, tissues collectively form organs, organs collectively form systems and systems form the human body. Each cell function as an individual unit. It needs food, nutrients, water, air and undergo metabolism, absorb its necessary nutrients and releases toxins as waste. That’s how, fundamentally the cells functions, grow and carry out different bodily functions. Optimally, our body needs 116 essential nutrients to function normally, maintain a proper weight, energy and health, that is the overall wellbeing.
As we age, the cells slowly get tired, slows down metabolism. They are unable to absorb the nutrients and vitamins that we get from food and supplements. The toxins from food, air and water get deposited in the cells. Slowly, the cellular function gets damaged leading to diseases state, fasten ageing and poor health.
So, several factors are affecting at the cellular level. The poor quality of food, processed food, food contaminated with pesticides, low quality of vitamins and supplements.
Other factors like environmental pollutions, high level of stress daily, lifestyle factors like smoking, alcohol, all of them affect greatly at the cellular level, the core of the body.
Therefore, to become healthier and stay healthy, we need to take care of the body at the cellular level. Experts say that NAD+, a coenzyme is associated with the function of Sirtuins, the kind of protein which is responsible for ageing and longevity. NAD+ is the main factor for maintaining the cellular functions ranging from metabolism, energy production, circadian rhythm, excretion/release of toxins and DNA health. As age progresses, Sirtuins activity, NAD+ levels decline in the body.
When Sirtuin activity and NAD+ levels decline, not only we age faster, affect the life span, also result in pathogenesis of cardiovascular and metabolic diseases like diabetes.
How to increase and improve the activity of Sirtuins and NAD+ levels?
- Calorie restriction: This is not a diet plan. It is just that you started to reduce the intake of the number of calories slowly than your usual or habitual intake. Research shows, that when food is restricted, scarce in the body, the state has a powerful influence in the activity of Sirtuins, SIRT 1. Similarly, in the case of intermittent fasting, the same effect is observed.
- Intermittent fasting: This is a pattern of eating. It is having just 2 proper meals a day leaving long hours of fasting between the meals so that you get the maximum benefit out of them.
3.Physical activity: Any form of physical activity.
4.Melatonin, the sleep hormone also influences the activity of Sirtuins.
5. Food which increases polyphenols and omega 3 fatty acids.
Research shows that some particular variety of food are responsible to increase the activity of Sirtuins, SIRT1
Quercetin: Found in green vegetables, berries, tea, citrus fruits, apples, onions
Resveratrol: Pomegranate, berries, grapes, soybeans.
Food like green tea, olive oil, cocoa, omega 3 fatty acids rich fishes (salmon, tuna, sardines) avocados, all influences the activity of Sirtuins, SIRT1.
Thanks for reading. Take care.
Blessings and much love to all💐
Hello everyone ! Have a wonderful Friday 🙋🏻
I am sharing with you today, a beautiful talk by Dr Lissa Rankin MD, which gives you the idea how powerful is our mind, which has the ability and the enormous capacity to heal the body from any disease and illness.
Hope, you like watching it as much as I do.
Blessings and much love to all 💐
Hello Everyone ! Have a great day 🙋🏻
Your body is not a single entity. It is a community of 50 trillion cells which behaves the way you think, feel and act. When you are in good emotional health, your healthy mental state influence every cell of your body to grow, function healthily and die in normal cyclical order. Again, new cells born and the cycle goes on. But, then this is an ideal situation.
Today, life is full of stressful and unwanted changes. Some of these events like a job change, job stress, death of loved one, divorced or any such situations create a stronger sense of anxiety, sadness, pain which can completely disrupt your emotional health. With emotions running high, your physical health gets affected causing you to develop high blood pressure, hormonal imbalances, stomach ulcers, weight issues etc. Not only this, your immune system gets affected greatly. You are more prone to disease and illness. So, how do we deal with this?
Controlling our external environment, or the circumstances and events in life is not within our control. There is nothing we can do about it. The only thing we have control is on our emotions, thoughts which do influence our physical health.
4 ways to handle better your emotional state:
1.Resilience: Always keep having a positive view of self. Love yourself and understand your self-worth. This helps in creating a security blanket around yourself. Having strong social support, being close to your loved ones, friends do matter. Learning to accept change in the environment, and keeping everything in proper perspective is important. Not everything in life will happen as per your will. All these mindsets help in building resilience to deal with any situations healthily.
2.A balanced life: Always count on your Blessings and gratefulness. Focus on things in your life for which you are grateful. Try not to get obsessed with anything like job pressure, relationship issues, problems at work or at home. Because things do change with time. Let go of the things which are stressful to your life and make time for things which you can enjoy. Create a balance in your life which helps you, in your both, emotional and physical health.
3.Calm your mind: There is a strong mind-body connection. The more your mind is calmer, the more you are stressfree and enjoy a healthier body. Always, make time to engage yourself in mind activity like meditation, listening to calm music, deep breathing, stretching or Yoga.
4.Self-care: To take care of emotional health, try taking care of your physical health by following a healthy routine of eating healthy, sleep, exercise. Releasing pent up emotions by sharing with loved ones and friends is important too. Exercising also helps in letting out pent up emotions.
Thanks for reading.
Much love to all 💐
Moringa oleifera, a native plant of Northern India, also grows in tropical regions of southern Asia, South America and Africa have been in the health trend for its tremendous health benefits. It has been there for thousands of years, as a dietary supplement. Alternative names being popular as drumstick tree, or horseradish tree or ben oil tree.
Science-based studies have proved recently that this plant, its leaves, fruits and seeds have many health benefits and can be regarded as a superfood.
Many households in India, Africa uses the fruits, seeds, leaves for cooking. Otherwise, it is available in powdered form, pills, capsules as supplements.
5 known benefits:
1.Dietary supplement: The moringa contains a variety of vitamin, protein and minerals. Vitamins mainly B1 (thiamine) B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin) and B6. It contains Vitamin C and folate. Loads of minerals like magnesium, phosphorus, calcium, iron and zinc. It has no harmful cholesterol. Moringa seeds are rich in antioxidant properties and so help in protecting skin and hair.
2.Helps in weight loss: Research shows that moringa extract helps in weight loss. It’s high vitamin B content facilitate digestion. It lowers cholesterol and helps the digestion of fat and prevent storing of fat. It has anti-inflammatory properties. It lowers cholesterol, due to compounds like isothiocyanate and niaziminin. It helps maintains the blood pressure so, good for cardiovascular health.
3.Improve haemoglobin level: Moringa extract contains iron and folate so helps in treating anaemia and sickle cell disease. It also helps the body to absorb iron, so help increasing the red cell count.
4.Medicinal: Moringa extract has been found to heal wounds. Since it has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties, it has been found to fight against bacterial diseases, gastritis, ulcerative colitis. It has shown to improve lung function so helps in asthma. Since, it improves the haemoglobin level, reduces blood glucose so helps to treat diabetes.
5.Wellbeing: Due to its antioxidant properties, releases the toxicity from the kidneys so contribute to kidney health. Improves eyesight by dilating the retinal vessels, preventing retinal dysfunction. Due to its richness in calcium and phosphorous, it contributes to bone health. It also found to help in mood disorders, depression and anxiety. It has anti-cancer properties. It also prevents liver damage.
Before, taking any supplements, it is important to inform and discuss with your physician. Many people are on regular medication for hypertension, diabetes or antidepressants, so there may be chances of drug interference when taken along moringa extract.
Before, buying the supplement, it important to read the labels for any kind of additives and the quantity to be used.
It has anti infertility properties so contraindicated for pregnancy.
Green tea is one of the healthiest beverage known in the world today. So waking up every morning with a cup of green tea is awesome to kick start the day.
I am both tea land coffee lover but and green tea tops my list. It is always advisable to choose a high-quality brand of green tea as low-quality brands may contain fluoride.
7 most important proven benefits are :
- Green tea is very rich in polyphenol antioxidants and catechin called EGCG (Epigallocatechin Gallate). They have proven health benefits of reducing inflammation and help in fighting cancer.
- Like coffee, green tea contains caffeine. Not just caffeine, it also contains amino acid L-theanine which increases the activity of neurotransmitter GABA. They not only keep you awake but improves the brain function and has anti-anxiety effects. Catechins in green tea have a protective effect on the neurons so lower the risk of Alzheimers and Parkinson’s disease.
3. Green tea is the recommended supplement for weight loss. it boosts the metabolism and increases the fat burning.
4.Many studies have proved that green tea drinkers do have a protective effect against some type of cancers like breast, prostate and colorectal cancers. It is due to loads of antioxidants found in green tea.
5.The catechins in green tea can boost your immunity and lower the risk of both bacterial and viral infections like influenza. It can improve your dental hygiene by killing oral bacteria.
6.Green tea increases the antioxidant capacity of blood and thereby reduces the LDL cholesterol (good cholesterol) from oxidation. it reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke. It slightly reduces blood sugar too. So good for type 2 diabetics.
7. Since green tea drinkers have a protective effect against cardiovascular diseases, protected against some cancers, boosted immunity, they likely to live longer and healthy.
Fibre foods are plant extract foods which are either soluble or insoluble fibres. Fibres are found in the outer layer of whole grains and plants which remain undigested in the gut. They cannot be digested by our body’s digestive enzymes. As they remain undigested, they facilitate the digestion process, help in digesting other food in the gut and also modulate the consistency of body waste. Dietary fibre foods are whole wheat, rice, oats, corn, fruits, veggies, pulses and nuts.
Now, the 7 perks of fibre food that I would like to convey are…
- Fibre food are ideal for weight management reason. This type of food gives the sensation of fullness after consumption and provide the bulk of body waste which helps to clean the bowel. Therefore, it helps to maintain the body weight.
- As fibre food takes longer chewing time, longer digestive time, so glucose formation in body is slow, insulin response is slower too. The person tend to eat less and does not feel hungry for a long time. As a result, slowly loses the excessive weight. Therefore, these food are highly recommeded for weight loss.
3. Fibre food helps in reducing blood sugar level. Since fibre content is not digested hence it is not added to the blood sugar level. Clinically, fibre food have found to reduce postprandial glycaemia and increase insulin sensitivity. So, they are good for diabetics.
4.Since this food maintain the blood sugar level and gives the sensation of fullness, They are clinically recommended for gastrointestinal disorders and obesity.
5. Plant extracts food are rich in fibres, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Hence, they have the added benefits of removing toxins along with body waste and help boost the body’s immunity.
6. Studies have proved that fibre food helps in lowering blood cholesterol level so help in reducing risk of hypertension, stroke and coronary artery diseases.
7. Fibre food facilitate the digestive process, helps in removing unwanted waste, toxins, helps in cleaning the bowel. Therefore, fibre food intake helps in reducing the risk of bowel cancers.
10 tips to slow down ageing.
Ageing is natural so inevitable. But why ageing occurs ? Our body is made up of a community of living cells, functional units which function individually as well as in harmony with one another. The basic cause of ageing is cell damage. Each living cell continue to replicate again and again. But with each time, the cell dies and replicate, the telomere in the DNA strand of cell shortens. So as ageing start progressing, the telomere start shortening. The old cell function slowly and start declining. This telomere of cell can determine our actual biological age.
Other important factors of ageing are free radical damage, exposure to heat, radiation, sunlight, emotional stress and unhealthy lifestyle. Inspite of all these factors, the question is, can we slow down ageing ? The answer is yes. We can control some of these factors and slow down the ageing process.
So, comes the key points to at least slow down this natural process…
- First, the most important key is loving yourself beyond anything . Love yourself and accepting the way you are. This gives you an immense strength to take care of yourself, your body ,mind and soul. Once this feeling is ingrain in you, you will naturally take utmost care of yourself and also the people around you.
- More than physical stress, emotional stress is the commonest cause to trigger ageing. Troubled relationship, work stress, lonliness are some common triggers. Try look out for solutions whenever you are in a messy situation. Maintaining a calm mind, would surely give some solutions. Hard times do come. But good times always come. Once you move on from your mental stress, not only physically, as well as mentally you will start feeling better.
3 Completely avoid a sedentary life style. Follow a routine exercise regime. Any form of physical activity like walking, jogging, gymming, cycling are all beneficial. Yoga is a very useful form of practise. Sometime, due to time constrain for busy work life, routine exercise is difficult , then incorporate more and more physical activity like climbing stairs, body movement to keep boosting the body’s metabolism.
4.Maintaing a healthy lifestyle is very important to slow down ageing. Life style factors like smoking, alcohol and sugar intake should be reduced. Avoiding them completely, is a boost to slow down ageing.
5. Eating habits should be routinely scheduled. Have meal at regular timings with no intermittent snacking. But yes, a fruit or handful of nuts whenever hungry is just normal. Try drinking plenty of fluids, mainly water. This gives you a naturally glowing complexion.
6. Meals should be composed of good portions of veggies and fruits which would give you the natural dose of antioxidants to combat the free radical damage.
7. Greying of hair is normal. Nutritious food and fluid intake regularly would surely enrich your hair texture and prevent hair fall. Coconut and almond oils are good for head massage as they help in hair growth. Too much of hair colours and chemical treatment can prove harmful in the long run.
8. To keep your skin look younger even when ageing is the diet and a good night sleep. Big portion of fresh fruits and veggies with fluid intake daily would surely help. Do follow your routine skin regime to keep your skin clean and hydrated. Organic /nature based products are good for skin. Applying sun screen lotions and wearing protective clothing during sun exposure are beneficial for skin.
9.Follow your hobbies, passion or any interest you have. This gives you the freedom of expressing your thoughts, emotional outlet to let out. This also gives you joy and peace within. To age slowly, mental calmness and peace are very important.
10. Lastly, give yourself a few minutes everyday, to meditate, to go within, to the person you are, or the one you want to become. Money and materialistic success are not enough for a calm and happy state of mind. Be grateful always, spiritually, stay connected to your higher self, for having a beautiful life.