Hello everyone ! Have a wonderful day 🙋🏻
What is this fuss about blue light on eyes? Blue light is a significant component of sunlight. Blue light is beneficial as it maintains our circadian rythm, the natural wake and sleep cycle. It also makes us alert, boost energy and elevates our cognitive functions in the daytime.
With the change in lifestyle, occupation and technology, people have started living more indoor with devoid of natural sunlight. More exposure to all kinds of technology gadgets, illuminating artificial lights at night after sundown has begun to take a toll on human health.The blue light, which is healthy in the daytime, has started to interrupt the natural sleep cycle in the night time. The intense exposure from blue light emitted from artificial lights like LED, fluorescent lights and prolonged screen time of electronic gadgets like TV, computer and cell phones hurts our eyes and body. The blue light disrupts the secretion of melatonin which is the primary sleep hormone. Though, all light of different wavelength interferes with the secretion of melatonin. But, blue light interferes the maximum when compared to other light. With the daily exposure to blue light at night time, have started to disrupt, not just the sleep cycle, but the entire hormonal cycle and other biological processes of the human body. Researches have even found it linked to some types of cancers, diabetes, obesity and heart ailments.
Some tips to prevent blue light exposure during the evening and night time:
1. Using dim light at night, preferably dim red light and using old types of incandescent light at home instead of LED lights. In a light spectrum, the longer the wavelength, the less effect it has on our health. Therefore, the red light is less likely to affect the circadian rythm.
2. Limit the screen time at least 2-3 hours before bedtime. It is essential to use a blue light filter or glasses at night time when working in the computer or doing a night shift work.
3. Using a lubricating eye drops to prevent dry eyes and irritation caused by prolonged screen exposure. It is vital to keep a distance of 2 feet away from the computer screen. Eye blinking should frequently be to prevent dryness.
4. Natural exposure to sunlight in the day time is essential for healthy life processes to carry out optimally, prevent mitochondrial damage, helps in ATP synthesis and Vitamin D synthesis.
5. Consuming green leafy veggies, omega three fatty acids rich food, carrots are all good for eyes. Drinking plenty of water is beneficial. Splashing the eyes with cold water to prevent drying and itchiness of eyes. Proper nutritional care necessary and is vital to quit smoking as they both are essential to prevent age-related macular degeneration.
6. Eye muscle exercise and following the 20/20/20 rule.
Thanks for reading.
Blessings and much love to all 💐