Hello everyone! Have a wonderful and safe day 🙋🏻
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: It is a disorder, relatively unknown to the public and even to the medical fraternity. It is a progressive, multi-system functional disorder involving the Neurological, Immune, Endocrine and digestive systems. As more and more cases are emerging, the diagnosis has now been established. This condition is also known as Myalgia Encephalomyelitis or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID). The syndrome slowly progresses to functional impairment. It can affect any age group, even in children. But mostly, common in women, more than men in the age group of 40-60 years.
Symptoms: Different individual is affected with different range of severity.
1.Extreme fatigue even after long hours of rest.
2.Progressive loss of stamina, both physically and mentally.
3.Loss of concentration
4.Loss of memory
6.Sensitivity to food, odours, chemicals
7.Unexplained joint pain.
9.Enlarged lymph nodes in the neck or the armpits.
Causes: The exact cause is yet unknown. But, in more and more case studies, certain contributing factors are being identified:
1.Viral infections: Like Rubella, Epstein Barr, Human herpes, Ross River viral infection can precipitate such a condition.
2.Bacterial infection like Chlamydia Pneumonia
4.Mental issues like childhood trauma, emotional trauma, stress
Diagnosis: The diagnosis is difficult to confirm as the condition has symptoms similar to many other conditions. To make a diagnosis, doctors mainly rely on a thorough medical history, and different tests are being done to rule out other conditions. Some individual with this condition has been found to have an inadequate response to immune cells like T cells and have autoantibodies in the blood. Tests like laboratory tests, exercise tests, sleep study are done to exclude other conditions.
Management: There is as such no cure. The aim of managing such cases is to relief the individual from the symptoms.
1. Eliminate food sensitivity like common allergens nuts (peanuts, tree nuts), shellfish, gluten (wheat, rye, barley), dairy. Avoiding such food may sometimes work towards improving the symptoms.
2. Exercise and Yoga is recommended to improve physical mobility.
3. Mindfulness session to improve sleep issue.
4. Acupuncture to improve pain.
5. Improve diet and Supplementation with vitamin B complex, potassium, magnesium.
6. Bone Broth as a collagen booster
7. Meditation, nature walk to improve mental health, reduce stress and peace of mind.
8.Social support: Support from loved ones and friends is vital.
Thanks for reading.
Blessings and much love to all 💐