Hello everyone ! Have a wonderful and safe day 🙋🏻
Bloating is quite common after having a heavy meal or drinking a big can of fizzy drink. It’s a feeling of abdominal fullness due to mostly build-up of gas. It can also happen whenever we binge on fried foods. So, it a common stomach issue, associated with some gastrointestinal disorders.
The underlying causes can be:
1.Drinking carbonated drinks.
2.Swallowing too much air while eating too fast.
5.Irritable bowel disorder.
6.Food intolerance like – gluten, lactose (dairy), fructose.
9.Gas forming foods like lentils, legumes, beans.
11.Polycystic ovarian syndrome.
13.Gastroesophageal reflux disease.
15.Abdominal tumours like cancers of stomach, uterus, ovary, liver.
Bloating is usually short-lived and relieved with passing of motion and increasing physical mobility. Usually, trigger food items or fizzy drinks should be avoided. Bloating is mistaken for distention which is different. Distention is when the abdomen is visibly swollen. It is usually associated with pain and has an underlying cause which needs investigation. Bloating can have a sense of fullness and a vague sharp pain too. If there are repeated episodes or a constant feeling of bloating, the underlying cause needs to be thoroughly investigated. A visit to a doctor, physical examination, ultrasound, CT scan, endoscopy are some of the methods to diagnose the underlying cause. And, the treatment would depend on the clinical and radiology assessment.
But commonly bloating can be relieved by taking some self-help measures:
1. When you suffer from bloating, you tend to notice the food items which precipitate such episodes. So, it is wise to avoid the trigger of food items.
2.Avoiding fizzy drinks and carbonated drinks.
3. Chewing and eating food slowly can facilitate better digestion.
4. The intake of fluid and water should be increased to avoid constipation.
5. Avoiding gas-forming foods like lentils, beans if they make you uncomfortable after consuming.
6. Intake of more fibrous foods which are helpful to form the stool bulk.
7.Reducing stress by meditation, mindfulness, exercise, yoga. Because a stressed mind brings our body to the sympathetic mode, which is fight or flight mode. In such a state, the body’s digestive capacity is inadequate.
8. Eating small meals with regular intervals instead of a heavy meal.
9. Regular exercise and physical mobility ensures better digestion.
10. Eating probiotics daily like yoghurt, Kimchi, saurkraut.
11. Avoiding sugar alcohol like xylitol, sorbitol, or mannitol which are found in sugar-free drinks and chewing gums.
12. Give yourself time in making diet changes. Taking small steps slowly in the diet is wise. Having too much of plant-based food suddenly or fibres consumed can cause bloating.
Thanks for reading.
Blessings and much to all 💐